I came across this recipe in Gourmet Magazine and decided that it looked and sounded way too good to ignore. These delightful puddings are the perfect dessert to serve at a dinner party because you can make them a day ahead! Don’t make the serving sizes too large though; less is more after all.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules*
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
Whisk together milk, coffee granules, cornstarch, 1/4 cup sugar, and a small pinch of salt in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, then boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Transfer to a metal bowl set in an ice bath and cool, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Pour into cups or ramekins and chill, uncovered, 20 minutes. If you are making these a day ahead, cover them before refrigerating.
Before you serve:
Beat cream with vanilla and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar using an electric mixer just until soft peaks form. Spoon whipped cream onto puddings and top with a light dusting of cinnamon.
* If you do not want to have caffeine in this recipe, simply substitute the regular instant coffee with decaffeinated.